Wk 3: Development

UV Maps

This week I learnt (slowly, with lots of swearing) what UV mapping and unwrapping is and used the techniques on my treasure chest model. The planar mapping on different axis was very easy: it was just maths all over again. However, simple things like forgetting to unselect “Normalise Map” would confuse me and I would not be able to figure out why my map looked wrong. I learnt to break edges (especially if the joint is close to or over 90 degrees) and was able to foresee what I would need to do before it was explained in the video. Although it was very complicated to begin with, I actually think that I got a good grasp on the process. It is similar to paper craft and involves the same type of forward thinking. Overall, UV mapping is not as bad as I thought it would be. Don’t get me wrong, it is still very tedious, and I am especially slow at it, but it is extremely satisfying watching the model slowly gain a consistent checkerboard pattern. I just hope that I will be able to transfer what I have learnt onto my hard-surface 3D model.

This entire process probably took me a total of 3 hours as it was my first time ever doing this and I had a couple of issues along the way. I have also learnt that one of the most important things is to increment save like crazy: this helped me so many times and I only ever lost 10 minutes of work, or so, at a time. The following GIF showcases the development of my UV maps:

UVMAPPING

Shown below is the complete UV map:

ChestUV_J

I finally feel as though my Tetris skills were put into use…

Advertisements